Who am I?

Monday, November 1, 2010

Gate Crashing 101: How to get past the door when you're underage or not on the list.

1. If you're underage, get an ID...but not a fake one. Fake IDs are pointless and a waste of money. They are overpriced, bad quality, and will only infuriate the person checking your ID.
As a naive freshman, I once tried entering a club with a fake ID that I had spent upwards of a hundred dollars on. Though I was a little nervous about having the fake, the guy who made it assured me that the hologram made it look authentic. WRONG! I found out the hard way that this was not the case. Within thirty seconds of presenting my new ID, a bouncer looked at it, looked back at me, pulled a tiny pair of scissors out of his pocket and cut my card in half. Ironically, I was then allowed to go in the club...
Not all bouncers care if the person on your ID is actually you, a lot of them just want to make sure you at least resemble the person in the picture. If they ask for a second form of ID, say you didn't bring one. If your ID is expired, tell them it costs $80 to renew and you're broke.

2. Get on the guest list. Going.com and Yodelscope.com are two websites I've found to be useful when trying to figure out how to RSVP for private events in New York. An RSVP doesn't necessarily ensure free admission, but it almost always means that the entry fee will be reduced. If you legitimately know someone working at the party, by all means use that to your advantage, but don't randomly name drop. If you have industry friends, hit them up for RSVP email addresses. People in PR and media always have access to cool industry events. If you're really desperate, you could try telling the person with the clipboard that you're with the press and you're covering the event, or that you're a party photographer for a blog. Get creative, but be smart.

3. Promoters. While associating with promoters will definitely cause your cellphone inbox to overflow with cheesy, annoying mass-text-messages; knowing promoters is a great way to gain access to free parties and free drinks. Promoters can usually get people into clubs without any ID and some of them do free dinners before their parties. Since the majority of promoters don't want to bring dudes out with them, this tip really applies to females. If you're out at a club, try to find out if there are any promoter tables. If there are, go over and chat them up, tell them how many 'beautiful girlfriends' you have and get their card.

4. Dress to Impress. Ever tried getting into a party that was "filled to capacity"?! Stylish costumes and clothing can definitely help your chances of crashing a totally packed event. When you're dressed in something awesome, door people are more likely to overlook the fact that your name isn't on the guest list or that your eyes are blue, but on your ID they're brown...

5. Flirt and make friends. If there is any advice I have for eager party-goers in New York, it is to make the most of your networking opportunities. When standing on line at an event, take a look at the people around you and find someone to talk to. Ask people who they know at the party and what brought them there.
When I went to see Caspa at Webster Hall a few weeks ago, I met some cool people on line who got in on a guestlist with reduced admission. We exchanged numbers, and last week at the Rusko concert they were nice enough to put my friends and I on their list.
Flirting is another option - I tried to get into club Love to see Jamie from The XX dj a few weeks ago, and when I got up to the doorman I noticed that he had a Scorpio tattoo on the side of his neck. I was a little worried he might have an issue with my ID, so I timed things out perfectly and complimented him just as he began to look it over. Distracted and Flattered, he let me in without looking at the ID again.

These are just a few tips I thought of off the top of my head for my "How to" post for class. If anyone has any ideas, feel free to post in the comments section! Good luck gate crashers!

1 comment:

  1. Good advice! My friend is a crasher and always uses the kitchen entrance :)

    ReplyDelete