Who am I?

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Places I went to and didn't tell you about... SORRY! Boxers and Dominatrixes...

So I am a terrible, terrible person for not blogging about some of these events beforehand, especially about this underground boxing match called "Friday Night Throwdown" I went to in the Lower East Side last Friday. Some friends of mine who may or may not be associated with the label Sloane NYC are involved with throwing this event I think every 6-8 months? I might be wrong on that, but regardless, this party was utter fight-club madness!




The boxing match was held on one of the upper floors of an empty warehouse on Allen and Delancey where they had built a small boxing ring in the middle of the room and set up a bar and stage for DJs on either side of it. About 200 or more hipsters, models, socialites, hippies, you name it, showed up to see a bunch of scrawny white kids beat the shit out of each other.

Since I'm generally not a huge fan of violence, I kind of expected to be turned off by this. But I have to admit, I couldn't help feeling super pumped when the music started playing and they brought the fighters out. The crowd went totally ape shit; screaming, cheering, booing, and raising their cellphones and cameras up into the air to try and capture some of the excitement. Lucky for me, Canaan Albright, who took some of my favorite photos of the event, was kind enough to let me use some of them for TimeKill, so enjoy!

I was especially pleased when DJ Messkid started spinning dubstep... Yes, I think I was the only one dancing at this point, but I didn't really care. Perhaps not everyone has caught onto the bass-wave just yet, but you wait! This music is getting mainstreamed pretty fast!






Photos courtesy of Canaan Albrighthttp://www.canaanalbright.com/


After this party my boyfriend and I decided to follow another friend of ours to a party in midtown at a club called Rebel. Now I generally don't go out in midtown, nor have I been to Rebel before, but in a desperate moment we took our friend's word for it and joined him on his way to a "Goth" party.

When we arrived at the Goth party everyone was dressed in shiny leather, fishnets, combat boots, the works. We felt totally underdressed and joked about how we should have come in costume. Then we went upstairs. Let me tell you, in my four years living in New York City, I had never been to a party like this before.

We entered the main room of the club to find people tying each other up to large, wooden contraptions and whipping one another's bare asses! Yes, I'm talking ass-less leather pants, people. In the other room, an ogre-like woman was being bound in ropes by a smaller leather clad female...and apparently this was normal. In fact, the only 'weirdos' there were my boyfriend and I. Our friend had taken his shirt off so he fit in, but I think I was the only girl there who wasn't topless and wearing pasties! And let's not forget the 70-something year old man walking around in a baby costume. Someone wearing a leather hat even asked if he could give me a foot massage.

Oh no, this was no Goth party we had come upon, but a dominatrix/fetish party. We stayed for a half an hour before we started to feel too sketched out to stay any longer. So, not exactly a party I was into, but not everyone can say they went to one of these, and now I have. Unfortunately there are no photos from this event, but you can use your imagination.

2 comments:

  1. I really wanted to check out Throwdown but had a gig. Sounds pretty fun and different. The dominatrix party, wow. I'd check it out, but mostly cause I like tities so much lol

    -ELC

    ReplyDelete