Who am I?

Monday, October 25, 2010

Less party, more play.

I realized that I've been blogging about a lot of parties and concerts, but have really neglected to draw attention to some of the other things dear to my heart, like art and theater. So in order to make this a healthy, well-rounded blog (and to uphold the statements I made in 'Say Wha?') I'll try to include more various ways of TimeKillin' in NYC from here on out. So here it goes:


A little over a week ago, I went to see a great new off-broadway hit, The Divine Sister, at the SoHo Playhouse. Written by the famous Charles Busch and directed by Carl Andress, The Divine Sister is a religious satire about three nuns; Mother Superior (Charles Busch), Sister Walburga (Alison Fraser), and Sister Acacius (Julie Halston), who live in a crumbling convent in Pittsburgh circa 1950. Things around the convent start to get a little bizarro when one of their young charges, Agnes (Amy Rutberg), begins seeing spiritual visions and claims to have the power to heal... 




Though I can't fully summarize the entire plotline here, basically the nuns must grapple with the legitimacy of Agnes’ visions and powers, while facing other hilarious challenges like how to squeeze donations out of a wealthy atheist in order to rebuild the convent, dealing with whether or not they even truly believe in God themselves, and wondering if trading in their steamy sex lives for worship was really a good idea after all. 


While it definitely mocks the genre, The Divine Sister is modeled after those old Hollywood nun movies like The Bells of St. Marys. It takes a provocative, modern approach with subjects like homosexuality and atheism, and in case that doesn't peak your interest, the script is ridden with the dirtiest words you've ever heard.


Though I would highly recommend this play to people in their late teens and early twenties, the truth is that this is a play for all ages. Oddly enough, on the night that I went to go see it, the crowd was full of old people, like, really, really old people. The man across from me had on a breathing tube.True, at the beginning, the onslaught of cursing and discussion of a legendary "eleven inch shlong", were somewhat uncomfortable for me to sit through in a room full of grandparents, but after a while I could tell the geezers were totally into it!


If you enjoy South Park-type humor; as in religious or political satire with lots of cursing, then this is a play for you. 


Tickets are $65 (kind of pricey, I know) but it really is a great show and I think there are student discounts online.

SoHo Playhouse 
15 Vandam Street
between Varick st. and 6th ave. 
Visit Divinesisteronstage.com for more information! 


No comments:

Post a Comment