Who am I?

Monday, December 20, 2010

TimeKill NYC's 2010 recap: Shows, DJs, Music!

The best music I heard live. 

Jamie XX at Club Love 
 In October, after a show at an old theater in Washington Heights, Jamie Smith from The XX, DJed a set of unreleased solo tracks at Love in the West Village. As for how to describe the sound, my friends and I thought it was music 'that aliens would make love to.'

Check out an XX remix:


Everything Everything at Bowery Electric - I saw this amazing electro pop/art rock band at Bowery Electric in October. The small venue is great for an close-up, intimate experience.



Caspa, Rusko, Hellfire Machina, Emalkay, Dieselboy at Webster Hall.
This year Webster Hall booked some of the biggest names in Dubstep for their Friday night shows on the top floor. Yes, it was overcrowded and sweaty, but the music and the sound system made it worthwhile. Besides, there really aren't many other places in NYC where you can see these guys live.


Thursday Night Live at John Varvatos 
Every first Thursday of the month, the John Varvatos boutique hosts a show for up-and coming rock bands. Open bar, classic location (former CBGBs club). I saw Dead Sparrows and Jamie Burke's new band Delilah in November.

The Click Clack Boom and Carney at Brooklyn Bowl Brooklyn bowl is not really my scene - it's too big and quite frankly, too much like a bowling alley...because it is one. But they hosted some good shows this year, and I had a great time when I went to see my friends from PA, The Click Clack Boom, open for Carney in September.




As Tall As Lions - As Tall As Lions will be playing their last show ever in New York (the band is breaking up!) at Highline ballroom on December 22nd. This is going to be an amazing last show!






No comments:

Post a Comment